Monday, April 6, 2009

Blogging

So...

Been an interesting couple of days and I almost lost my temper a couple of times. The posts from yesterday are deleted, written by me and other people in the heat of the moment and keeping those there words up for posterity is probably counter-productive. So let's look at todays little issue. The blog itself.

Why should I blog?
Pain in the butt innit. Having to drag yourself to a site login and then maintain the damned thing so that you're not posting once a month and nobody is reading it. Why I try to post fairly often, even if there's not much to say, so that when I do have something to say I already have a reader or two. It's true, Developers like the blog. That's not to say my blog is the best blog ever, or am I so damned interesting. The point right now is it's the only one out there. Developers like the format because it can be read at their leisure, not having to deal with a tell in the middle of their coding, idle or whatnot. It's a permanent record, so it can be referred to later too.

But Everyone Loves Gav, How Can I Compete?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm just fortunate because I'm the first who tried this approach and it's been discovered to work. That's not to say your blog should be a wish-list. Mine isn't, though problems and whatnot are pointed out in it, specifically to do with problems in my guilds or my specific goals. Also, realise Developers have plans and projects of their own and your idea might not fit in there. Not all of mine do, and it's sort of implicit, especially with requests for guild benefits or whatnot. I've had a few tells like 'Nice idea about the keep Gav, but it can't be a Knight power because it goes against something we're working on' ORLY?

Basically the blog has been proven to be a useful format for charting your progress, problems and triumphs with the game. It's passive, not intrusive and that's why it's taken off. A forum would maybe work as well, but as we don't have one.... I heartily recommend you to make your own. Honestly? I don't like this distinction that's fallen on my shoulders and I've been uncomfortable with it for a while now. Help me out? Make your own blog or whatever charting your own journey through the game. Much obliged.

Gav

5 comments:

  1. It's true. To endorse an action is to endorse an action-type. There's nothing special about Gavadel that can't be done by others, even allowing for broad variation in motives and concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's worth noting that I set up a mechanism where you can designate a blog for your incarnos or atman, and it will automatically be promoted in your 'whois' display and (once I've validated it) on lostsouls.org.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went ahead and made a blog of my own, although it will probably be of the "posting once a month and nobody is reading it" variety. If nothing else, maybe it'll be at least slightly amusing to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice actually. Enjoyed the first couple of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should enable anonymous comments on your blog, Esmene.

    ReplyDelete