Thursday, April 9, 2009

Almerian 3D Map Launch....

THIS SUCKS! HOW THE F*CK AM I GOING TO DO MY XP CIRCUIT NOW?!!! My xp circuit composes of alternating between Bill the Town Fool and Trixie, so I'm actually all good.

Me and Lys don't seem to really get on that well, though I wish we did as we have a lot of the same interests. Not a loathing or anything, but we're not buddies, we have a... 'professional' relationship. I'm only saying this to make one thing clear. My support of his work isn't personal.

I LOVE the new map. Despite our differences I've been a big fan of Lysator's /work/ since I first stepped into the Northlands. I love NL, Avalon, Gardagh and what I've seen of Mordo. And the new Almerian map is ambitious and long overdue. And I think only Lysator could ever have had the patience to do something like this. I'll probably be more full of praise when I figure out where stuff is.

For the record I'm exploring with the War Band (bad idea) so me and Fledge are being forced to explore on foot. So far we've found... Togrek, the eastern entry point and a wild dog pack (don't let those beeatches catch your low level adventurer btw).

The common complaint about a Lys-map is IT'S BIG AND EMPTY. Only if you're a numbnut I think. His maps have flavor, they're thought out, the descs are gorgeous and there's attention to detail (you can examine the flowers and the like). Lys puts a lot of work into his wandering monsters even if he won't let me keep 'em. And space... all that space.... is asking for expansion of content, new towns, new villages, new areas. For the first time in 15 years, there's room to expand in a way that makes sense.

Kudos Lysator.

And to all 'em Devs who helped him finish it up and put hours and hours last night into loading it up. Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to actually explore and run around in the new areas. The lack of knowing where anything worth experience now will get me a lot more reason to play some of my non-power characters. Pretty and large maps do have lots of empty space which is awesome for growth, especially if it is to be player driven, Necroptikon was a test of that(later abandoned), but even a random out of the way location ended up being 2e from the OZM Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a long weekend in front of me, so I'll have time to get used to the new map. I think being a Knight and having spent some time in Avalon and Gardagh has made the changeover a little easier for me than it will do for some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weren't you supposed to be taking time away from LS?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gav was temporarily replaced by EmoGav, who I thought had been slain 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete