Monday, April 13, 2009

Adventures of the Band of the White Cross

So, whilst reworking my navigation aliases (yes, even I use navigation aliases, I don't do the xp-per-minute loop, but you know sometimes I have to do the circuit) I decided to add Ry'leh to the loop. I used to do it about 10 odd years ago, but I just never got into the habit of going there when I went back. So I led the band through the usual abominations and ranting orcs and cold-eyed giths, what I remembered and came to the Strange City that used to scare the crap out of me years ago. And I came across a couple of gogtzul. I've fought these guys a few times since sometimes they lead the odd raid to Losthaven. I didn't expect a gogtzul horde swarm. I rallied the Band to me and with a few choice words inspired the lot of them to a heroic defense around my banner. (My imaginary banner, bannermen are on my wish list). About half-way through the epic defense I had to go full defensive and did my best to keep my men alive whilst they did their best to bring the gogtzul down. And they did. And we suffered no losses.

After this little fight which ended /just/ in the nick of time I decided to retreat, but not knowing the layout of Ry'leh so well and after a small rest I fought my way down. Until I came across a deryni, thinking he was no more or less than any other wierd creature I'd faced in Ry'leh we attacked. And Yog-Sothoth was summoned. Even I... Prince Gavadel of Amber had to retreat before the Elder God. But I didn't get the chance, it didn't take me long before my spirit found itself with Father Michael. I pray to Yehovah to show some mercy and summoning Fledge we flew back to Ry'leh like the wind. And promptly died because I had nothing. Finding myself back at Michael /again/ and sure the War Band was now dead I first headed to Camelot to re-arm myself from our armoury (something I rarely do these days). I then headed back to Ry'leh. The Band had scattered to the four winds, and it took me some time to find them all again, but losses were a lot lower than expected and only Yeoman Gelamio had perished. 'Only' I'm sad to lose Gelamio, he's the longest surviving yeoman from the new band who wasn't part of the 'Dream Team'. I also have to report the loss of Dame Alirizel, when I rearmed at Camelot I found a hauberk and cloak I'd made myself and gifted to her. She died defending Lancelot so that's something. She's the first member of the Dream Team to die.

We also lost three pegasi, so Juxinner is currently flying around on Seleus. Instead of concentrating on rebuilding the Band, Captain Rubernel informed me it'd be better if we continued plotting out our routes. We'd just finished a raid on Bloodmoon Temple when the Vigil informed me there was a huge raid on Losthaven with multiple parties. The Band formed around the rune of the keeper and we launched to Losthaven's Defense. As did a lot of other Guard members. Our first mission was to dispatch the horde of zombies, which we did easily, but to the east there was a massive army of orcs, probably in reprisal for my assault on Yevath earlier in the week. The main problem was the orc berserker. I fell twice (as did a few other PC Guard) but kept launching myself back into the defense of the City.

Finally when the Battle of Losthaven drew to a close I counted casualties amongst the Band. None.

Three Battles in one day and only Yeoman Gelamio fell. I consider myself most fortunate. We'll finish mapping out our route and then I'll rebuild the Band and hunt some more pegasi.

War Band No: 15

No comments:

Post a Comment