Saturday, February 13, 2010

Steel Serpents

I said I'd write about this in my next post, but since there was the disaster on Ry'leh I wrote about that instead.

The Steel Serpents have, as long as I have played this MUD been an NPC organisation that always looked kinda cool. A bunch of battle-hardened soldiers protecting a small city in fairly abandoned lands, protecting themselves from raptorak raiders who hit the town pretty often. Corna itself is one of the best little adventuring towns out there. I'm aware I haven't done all the quests or even come close, but that place has ATMOSPHERE. I was always sad I couldn't ally myself to it or the Steel Serpents.

Twilight just off-the-cuff changed that. The Steel Serpents are now a joinable affiliation with their elite Equites, a cavalry guild which are ALL ABOUT WARBANDS!

You can see the dilemma.

For the first time since I joined the Knights I was actually tempted to find a way to leave them and switch over to Twi's guild. The problem was theme, although a lot of what I heard about the guild made it sound a lot like at least one of the factions I'd envisaged for the long awaited KOTR rewrite, there were a few problems, not the least of which they weren't the Knights of Avalon. Gav although he went through a few guilds in his youth has been a Knight of the Round Table for most of his career. And although I might have wanted him to switch that allegiance to Corna, he wouldn't have it. Besides, Twi pointed out I'd have yet another Bond, and this time to a horse which wouldn't really fit my aerial cavalry theme. So... we'll get by with the Knights. I have compromised and at least joined the Steel Serpents, Avalon's representative and ally with Corna when they need it.

I do hope other people DO join the Equites and we see more War Bands around, they are fun to manage and there is a definite satisfaction in exercises like yesterday's retaking of the gogtzulu city. And please, please can someone work on that knight rewrite I was promised about two years ago now?

No comments:

Post a Comment